Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

This is such a beautiful island, I cannot even believe it.




(more on) Monday Feb 21

Tonight I went to the MALL.  Can you believe it?  You can take the girl out of Long Island....but....well, you know the rest.  Of COURSE they had what I needed.  First of all, my thanks go to the electronics store: FNAC!  And no, that is not a typo.  They had the card reader I needed to download all my pictures that make the blog what I really wanted it to be from the start, so I went back and inserted all the pictures in their proper places.  I hope it improves everyone's viewing pleasure (if, in fact, anyone other than my Tony is reading it--because he HAS to).  Lol.  
---Just a side note on MALLS:  Humor me here, please.  I would like to point out how interesting it is that when you go to a store of any kind in another country, the crap that they sell is the SAME as it is at home, but because it is called by a different name, represented by different logos, and you are assisted by people from a distant land, it is suddenly exotic and amazing.  Still and all, I needed that card.  Enough with the deep thoughts.

........I am not sure these new pictures do Madeira any justice, but I suppose they are better than nothing!!  :D  We had a great day today--we drove all through and around the west coast of Madeira from top to bottom--or bottom to top, I should say, as that is where we started from.


Hooray!  Pictures.  AND VIDEO.  If you have the time, I highly suggest you look at the videos too--my verbal commentary is TERRIBLE, really--no lie, but the video really captures more of the beauty of Madeira.  I am thrilled with how clear they are and how they represent our tour today.  Thanks again, Mom for the Flip camera.  Totally awesome.


First stop on Monday: Eira Do Serrado (above)

This is one of many picturesque stops on the way to the very top of the sea cliff, where we drove.  This particular area is known because during his visit to Madeira, Winston Churchill stopped here exactly and painted that lighthouse in the distance a bit to the left.  What (in my opinion) was cooler about this spot was the many brightly colored fishing boats, and the dozens upon dozens of fish that are hanging out to dry like skivvies on a clothesline.




This cove also contains a big fish hatchery.  Apparently the fishermen here in Madeira are supported in part by government subsidies because of the importance of the fishing industry in Portugal, and the unstable nature of their monetary situation.  Hmmm.  How I wish the same provision was made in NY for freelance musicians......  !!

The ring thingies are the hatcheries.  

2nd Stop: Camara de Lobos


This was our next stop.  This beach is named for seals.  Lobos means two things in Portuguese: Wolves and Seals (aka sea wolves).  Incidentally, it's the same deal en Espanol.  Before people inhabited the lovely island of Madeira, it was crawling with seals.  Now they are an endangered species and kept in one part of the island.  There is a landing along the sea cliff where you may look out, and it is quite beautiful--there are also people selling souvenirs and people donned in ponchos playing the Love Theme from Titanic and other faves on the pan flute.  If I closed my eyes, it was like being in front of the Marriot Marquis @ 45th and Broadway.  Oh, right--except for the blaring car horns and the tourists smashing into me.  Or me smashing into them.  






Next:  Curral das Freiras

Here is a video that shows you this next spot.  I apologize for sounding like a retard, and for making you seasick with my expert camera handling.  It will get better.  I am also out of breath because of the altitude, and because I had to run from the bus to take video quickly because everyone was ready to get the heck out of there by the time I got around to video-ing anything.  Oh well.  :D





The next and last stop for the day is probably one of the most beautiful spots I will ever sea.  Get it??! ?? Barf, sorry.

The best for last: Porto Moniz



First of all, we ate lunch here.  This was my first bonafide Portuguese fish meal.  Free tuna at the hotel, however delicious, does not count.  I had Portugal's most popular fish--the black scabbard fish, or ESCABA.  Yum.  This escaba fillet is served with passion fruit sauce and potatoes:
NO. WORDS.

The real reason for my loving Porto Moniz is because the surf was amazing.  Only the video here (below) can come close to capturing it, and I am not sure it really does.  Again, don't pay attention to what I say, just look and listen to the crashing waves.  I totally felt like I was in the middle of an authentic pirate cove.  Truth be told, that possibility is not far off.  At the very least, it was a lot like watching The Goonies, which is to date, one of my favorite films ever.  I did lots of souvenir shopping here, too, which was fun.  And chatted with some locals using the three Portuguese words that I know.


 



4 comments:

  1. You are so funny - I love your commentary! Amazing pics! Not sure if the video has loaded yet - or maybe it's just my computer. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful pictures!! i cant get the videos either but im sure they're great :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Videos are up, mis amigos. Sorry about the delay. This is a learning process--I originally saved the videos on iPhoto, not the Flipshare program, which was the necessary program to upload properly. Last night when I was trying, it was like 3 in the morning and I just gave up. Thanks for your patience!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Great you got the video to work!

    ReplyDelete