Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Sweet things come to those who wait: Deep thoughts on bananas.

Is that a banana in your yard, or are you just happy to see me?




Who doesn't love bananas?  What's not to love?  All musicians know they are nature's beta blocker.  They are a delicious, low-calorie snack, good source of carbs, potassium, and who knows what else.  Only good things, I am sure.

It turns out that they are EVERYWHERE here on the island of Madeira.  And when I say everywhere, I mean groves in people's yards, grown on empty lots, and in all regions that are not urban, they cover every last inch of spare (and not so spare, as the case may be) surface area.


This is literally, like, 4 feet from the entrance to the hotel.  The green stuff sticking out from above the stone wall is a banana grove.  


I am a banana lover, and I have to tell you that these bananas taste BETTER than any other(s) I have had.  I wondered why this might be, and I got my answer:

I learned that Portuguese bananas are smaller than other bananas (which is OBVIOUSLY NOT why I liked it better--I mean, come ON!)  I am sure there is a joke or two to be told here, but out of respect for the portuguese people, I will let it go.




More importantly I also learned that I liked these bananas more because they are SWEETER.  They are, in fact sweeter because most of the bananas that we (in the US) eat are from other places than Portugal--places closer to the EQUATOR.  Because Portugal is farther away from the equator than all these other banana producing countries, the bananas grown here take longer to ripen.  This longer ripening process enhances the flavor and the sweetness (if NOT the size....) of the bananas.


★And THAT'S one to grow on.★

3 comments:

  1. Well, you know what they say about small packages...

    I'm detecting a fruit theme in your posts. : )

    How's the 3rd grade teacher and mom enjoying things? Get them in a video, please. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was truely (the word "literally" has worked its way onto my "do not use" list) laughing out loud listening to your commentary. Perhaps you've missed your calling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that's not how "truely" is spelled??? Anyway, I was laughing at the bananas comments, too!!

    ReplyDelete